Thank you to our dedicated members for all we continue to accomplish together.
Here are a few highlights:
Growing Our Base
Over the last 5 years, the Illinois Housing Council has grown its membership by over 50 organizations. Today, IHC consists of approximately 250 members accounting for over 1,500 industry professionals involved in affordable housing throughout the State of Illinois.
The success of IHC’s initiatives is rooted in the ability to bring together our members from all aspects of the industry to advocate on behalf of effective public policy and legislation for affordable housing and we couldn’t do it without the support of our members.
Building Legislative Support for Affordable Housing & Community Development
Through education and advocacy by the IHC Legislative Committee along with colleagues from across the country, IHC has successfully advocated for:
- The inclusion of a 12.5 percent increase in the Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) allocation for four years and income averaging on a permanent basis in the FY 2018 omnibus spending bill.
- The preservation of the LIHTC and Private Activity Bonds, including multifamily Housing Bonds, in the final 2017 Tax Reform Bill legislation.
- Securing bi-partisan support from 14 members of the Illinois Congressional delegation as co-sponsors for S.B. 548/H.R. 1661 – the Affordable Housing Credit Improvement Act of 2017;
- The inclusion of the 9% fix in the 2014 tax extender package – paving the way for a permanent fix; and the lifting of the Rental Administration Demonstration (RAD) cap from 60,000 to 185,000 units.
- Securing bi-partisan support from 12 members of the Illinois delegation of the U.S. House of Representatives as co-sponsors for H.R. 4717 – the permanent Low Income Housing Tax Credit 9% and 4% minimum rate fix.
- The extension of the Illinois Affordable Housing Tax Credit (IAHTC) beyond 2016, in partnership with a strong group of affordable housing advocates led by the Chicago Rehab Network.
Providing a Forum for Education and Networking
IHC continues to provide a forum to discuss timely topics, learn best practices from one another and promote effective and efficient affordable housing policies.
IHC regularly brings together hundreds of affordable housing professionals from all sectors for 10 events throughout the year – keeping the IHC membership up-to-date on the current issues in affordable housing, as well as providing opportunities to network, enjoy the company of affordable housing colleagues, and find new ways to work together.
Hosting Our Annual Conference
For the last 5 years, IHC has co-hosted the successful Illinois Governor’s Conference on Affordable Housing with the Illinois Housing Development Authority. In 2018, over 1,100 industry professionals from across the state attended this annual event for networking opportunities and engaging sessions on the current trends in affordable housing.
Please visit the conference website at www.ilgovernorsconference.org for more information.
Collaborating with Government and Other Funding Agencies
In addition to successfully co-hosting the annual Illinois Governor’s Conference on Affordable Housing, IHC has been working closely with IHDA on multiple fronts. During the open comment period for the Qualified Allocation Plan (QAP), IHC gathers comments and suggestions from our membership and submits a letter of recommendation to IHDA.
IHC continues to engage in regular dialog with IHDA around the Qualified Allocation Plan (QAP) and other critical issues facing the development and preservation of affordable housing in Illinois. We have also partnered with the Federal Home Loan Bank of Chicago on an annual basis to provide our members with a forum to review the Affordable Housing Plan process and ask questions to representatives at FHLB Chicago.
We look forward to continue to build our relationships with our partners and our member organizations in the year to come.
IHC Committees and Purpose Statements
The success of IHC’s initiatives is rooted in the ability to bring together our members from all aspects of the industry to advocate on behalf of effective public policy and legislation for affordable housing. By becoming an IHC member, you strengthen our influence and contribute to improve the environment for building and preserving affordable housing throughout Illinois.
Choose from one of five membership levels, including the Sustaining Membership. As consistent supporters of IHC’s mission and events, Sustaining Members receive all the benefits of a Regular Membership in addition to recognition on signage and the program book at the Illinois Governor’s Conference on Affordable Housing, and more!